Saturday, March 22, 2008

Polymorph Substrate

Blobs #2 and #3 both broke free of the base before the build completed. This prompted me to search for a substrate that would hold the build in place and be relatively easy to remove afterward. Tried a bunch of things, most of which don't work.

One thing I tried shows promise. I melted some polymorph (aka friendly plastic) and flattened it into a sheet roughly 1mm thick. I ran a layer on this, holding it down with my hands and trying not to burn my fingers on the extruder. It worked fairly well, considering the sheet was a bit uneven. A polymorph sheet has the additional advantage of being reusable. You can melt it in hot water and re-form it.

Now I just need to find a way to make flat sheets of polymorph.

No comments: