Monday, December 17, 2007

Getting My Bearings

I went ahead and used the bearings from RRRF, following Zach's instructions. I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut the bearings in half. Then I heated up some CAPA (using hot water in a coffee cup) and stuffed it into the two indentations and shoved the half-bearings into the blobs. I used the drive screw to line up and sink the half-bearings into the CAPA.

After letting it cool, I trimmed the excess CAPA with a razor. I removed the half-bearings, put some JB Weld on and re-seated them, using the drive screw to line them up again. The main thing I wanted to ensure was that, when I pushed the drive screw toward the motor, it sat on both bearings. This would be its normal position when it's pushing filament.

1 comment:

Zach Smith said...

nice. i posted this on the builders blog. thanks for the documentation help!